Contraceptives, free for all students who qualify.

Oregon State is pleased to participate in Oregon Contraceptive Care (CCare)

This federal program provides free contraceptive management services, birth control, and reproductive health care to individuals, regardless of gender.

If you qualify you will not be billed for contraceptive management services. Students who have health insurance (except Oregon Health Plan enrollees) can also enroll in CCare.

Frequently Asked Questions

No appointment needed.

SHS is staffed by highly qualified health professionals who provide confidential services to guide you to the best birth control method for your lifestyle.

Please feel free to contact the SHS CCare office with questions:

  • Call 541-737-9140
  • Stop by Plageman Building, Room 110C.
What is CCare?

CCare is a program that is funded by the Centers for Medicaid Services and the Oregon State Department of Human Services through a grant.

This allows Student Health Services to provide reproductive health care and contraceptive services to women and men who meet certain income criteria.

What services will CCare provide?

CCare will pay for contraceptive management office visits including birth control consultations, initiation and follow-up care, a yearly exam, and emergency contraception.

Where can I go for my contraceptives if I am not eligible for CCare?

Labs, X-rays, and prescriptions can be billed to your student account.

Do I have to fill out a new enrollment form if I am renewing CCare?

Yes. Clients must complete a new enrollment form annually. This will enable us to determine if you are still eligible to receive CCare services.

Do I have to have an annual exam to start contraceptives?

No. You do not need to schedule an annual exam to discuss contraception. After your initial office visit, your clinician can determine whether you should have an annual exam.

What is the duration of eligibility for CCare?

Eligibility, once determined, will remain effective for one year (12 months) from the date of initial determination.

Eligibility determined at one site is accepted at all CCare and/or Planned Parenthood clinics in Oregon.

What if I don't qualify for CCare?

If you don't qualify for CCare and you have private insurance, your private insurance will be billed for contraceptive services, supplies and annual exams.

If you do not feel comfortable having your insurance billed, or your insurance does not cover contraceptive services, then a $5 administrative fee will be placed on your student account in addition to any fees for lab work or procedures.

How do I know if I’m eligible?

In order to qualify for the program:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen, or have eligible immigration status (see CCare office staff for more information on immigration status eligibility).
  • You cannot currently be enrolled in the Oregon Health Plan.
  • Your monthly income cannot exceed $2,529 for one person and $3,429 for a couple. This is just your income (before taxes) and does not include your parents’ income, nor does it include any money that is obtained through financial aid.

If you meet these requirements, we can enroll you immediately and schedule an appointment for you to meet with a clinician, usually within a couple of days.

Separating contraceptive services and annual exams from Student Health Services' list of services covered by the health fee allows students who are eligible to enroll in the free CCare program.

What birth control methods are available?
  • Oral contraceptives
  • Emergency contraceptive (Plan B)
  • Ring
  • Patch
  • Depo Provera (hormonal injection)
  • IUS (Mirena, Skyla, Kyleena)
  • IUD (ParaGard)
  • Hormonal implant (Nexplanon)
  • External and receptive condoms
  • Diaphragm
  • Spermicides
What if I have insurance or am on my parents’ plan?

Students who have insurance that covers contraceptive management can still be eligible for the program if they meet the other criteria.

We will bill your insurance provider and then CCare as a secondary. You will not be charged.

However, if you are insured under your parents’ plan you may request special confidentiality. In this case no insurance billing will go out and CCare will cover all charges.

Feel free to contact the CCare office for more information at 541-737-9140.

How do I enroll in CCare?

CCare is a part of Student Health Services and is located in the Plageman Building, Room 110C. Our office hours are 9 a.m.–5 p.m.

The enrollment process takes less than 10 minutes, during which time you fill out a form and schedule an appointment with a clinician.

What services are not covered by CCare?

CCare does not provide treatment for bladder or urinary tract infections, prenatal care, pregnancy confirmation or STI testing and treatment.

Do I have to see a clinician before I can get contraceptives?

If you are new to the CCare program at SHS, you will need to schedule an initial office visit for contraceptive counseling. This appointment takes approximately 40 minutes.

During this appointment your clinician will discuss different contraceptive methods and will help you choose the best method for your lifestyle. A prescription will be sent to the pharmacy, where you can pick it up.

If you need emergency contraception before your initial visit, you can see a nurse as soon as you have finished enrolling.