What is health insurance?

Health insurance pays part of the cost of health care for you and your family if you are injured or get sick. It can be used at OSU Student Health Services, doctors’ offices, and hospitals. 

OSU’s health insurance requires that you use either Student Health Services or a doctor that is part of the plan (doctors who have signed up with that insurance company).

Why do I need health insurance as an international student?

Healthcare in America can be expensive, so it is important to have health insurance. 

All non-resident international students and their dependents (living in the United States) must be covered by health insurance that meets national, state and OSU requirements (OAR 576-025-0020). All international students are automatically charged for OSU International Health Insurance.

Students who have other insurance can submit a waiver request with a summary of their insurance coverage. If approved, the charge will be removed. For more information on adding a dependent to your OSU health insurance, contact the Student Health Insurance office 541-737-7600.

I have dependents on my plan; How do they use my insurance?

Each family member on your plan has a $500 deductible. This is the amount that you must pay each year before benefits will be paid by the insurance company. The deductible is waived for students seen at Student Health Services, but does apply for dependents and students when seen outside Student Health. 

For more information

Contact the Student Health Insurance Plan office via email or 541-737-6748.

Where is the best place to use my OSU health insurance?
#1: Student Health Services

In most situations, the first place to go is Student Health Services. This will be the cheapest place to get health care.

View our current hours and locations

To make an appointment, call 541-737-9355. If you need to see a doctor immediately, some same-day appointments are available. 

If you have a problem when Student Health is not open, call the Nurse Advice Line at 541-737-9355.

#2: Off-campus urgent care

If Student Health is closed, you can go to Corvallis Clinic Immediate Care or Samaritan Urgent Care. 

Corvallis Clinic Immediate Care Center
Asbury Building
3680 NW Samaritan Drive
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-754-1282

Samaritan Urgent Care Center
5234 SW Philomath Blvd. (in Sunset Plaza near Safeway)
Corvallis, OR 97333
Phone: 541-768-4970

#3: Off-campus doctor or specialist

If you are looking for a special type of doctor off campus that is part of your insurance plan, go to the PacificSource website.

Note: Call 9-1-1 in an emergency

They can send an ambulance to help you. You can also go to the emergency room at the hospital. Emergency room visits are much more expensive than visiting a doctor who is covered by your insurance. If you go to the emergency room when you don’t have an emergency, your insurance might refuse to pay all or part of your charges. You would need to pay those charges. This can cost you a lot of money.

Good reasons to go to the emergency room:

  • Losing consciousness
  • Severe pain
  • Severe trouble breathing
  • Chest pain
  • Bleeding that doesn’t stop
  • Poisoning (contact the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222 for immediate advice)
  • A major injury, such as a head injury
  • Severe or worsening reaction to an insect bite or a medication, especially if breathing is difficult
  • Stupor, drowsiness or disorientation that cannot be explained