If you get sick or injured

  • Seek immediate medical care if you are bitten by an animal, develop a headache and high fever, experience bloody diarrhea, or have a skin wound that is not healing.
  • Students who have OSU International Health Insurance should contact On Call International. If you are more than 100 miles from OSU or in another country, they will arrange medical care for you.

Be Safe

  • Know your travel schedule (length of flights, stopovers). Carry extra food and water with you on long trips.
  • Keep your medicines in your backpack or carry-on bag, so that you can get them easily during your trip.
  • Keep your passport in your possession in a safe place, such as in a security pocket or belt.
  • Take only the credit cards that you will be using. Do not carry large amounts of cash.
  • Look both ways before crossing a street. Traffic may be coming from an unexpected direction.
  • Wear seat belts when riding in cars. Lock car doors.
  • Make new friends, but be aware of situations that may include unsafe sex, alcohol, drugs, and other dangers (especially at night or when alone).

Be Healthy

  • Be current on recommended immunizations.
  • Protect yourself from the sun. Wear sunglasses and a hat, and use sunscreen with SPF 15 to 30.
  • Wash your hands, especially before eating and after using the bathroom. Carry an alcohol-based hand cleaner, in case clean water and soap are not available.

In most European countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and the United States, tap water is safe to drink. Elsewhere, don’t drink tap water or use it to brush your teeth or clean contact lenses. Canned or bottled drinks are usually safe, but don’t use ice cubes.

Be Prepared

  • Prepare a Travel Medical Kit: first aid supplies (bandages and antibiotic ointment), cold medications, throat lozenges, antacids, and medication for pain relief.

How to use On Call International

Who do I call if I get sick or injured when traveling?

If you are traveling at least 100 miles from OSU, or in another country, call On Call International as soon as possible by dialing 866-525-1956 (within the United States) or 603-328-1956 (outside the United States). On Call International must make the arrangements for medical care, so always call them first.

How do I find medical care when I am traveling?

On Call International will refer you to a qualified doctor or hospital in your travel location. On Call International cannot reimburse you for any medical expenses unless they are arranged, approved and provided by On Call International.

How do I print an ID card for On Call International?

Click here.

Click on “Members” in the left menu, then select “Travel Assistance.” To print your card, go to "On Call International ID Card" near the bottom of the page.

What if a foreign hospital refuses to accept my insurance and requires me to pay the total when I get medical care?

You will need to pay the hospital and then file a claim for foreign medical assistance with Aetna Student Health. If you do not have enough money to pay the hospital, On Call International can help you make financial arrangements with the provider. The source of the money is your responsibility.

Find more information about how On Call International can help you at https://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/site-tools/insurance-FAQs.aspx under “Travel Assistance Services,” or go to On Call International: Worldwide Medical Information and Assistance (PDF).