Fees for Services

2017-2018 OSU health fee

$153.72 per term

More info about student fees

About the OSU health fee

Students are notified of tuition and fees before enrolling, and all fees are included in financial aid calculations. 

One visit to SHS makes up for the cost of the quarterly health fee. Initial office visits in the private medical community generally cost more than the charge for the university's health fee.

The health fee...

  • Supports the public health of the OSU community.
  • Makes health services accessible to students.
  • Supports 60 percent of SHS operations.
  • Covers services for both SHS and CAPS.

Billing FAQ

The health fee covers:
  • Visits with SHS psychiatrist (with referral from SHS clinician)
  • Most office visits (excludes all lab work or procedures)
  • Tobacco cessation services
  • Nutrition consults with a registered dietitian
  • Health coaching services
  • Access to health and wellness web resources, including Healthier at School® Online Self-Care Guide
  • Health promotion outreach programming and events
  • Nurse advice by phone, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
  • Toll-free long distance access to Student Health (1-877-824–9355)
The health fee does not cover:
  • Lab tests, X-rays, EKG and spirometry
  • Immunizations and allergy shots
  • Travel appointments
  • Acupuncture, chiropractic services and massage therapy
  • Physical therapy
  • Procedures such as ear irrigation, sutures/wound care, wart removal, etc.
  • Physicals (ROTC, Immigration, Pre-Employment, Peace Corps, Athletics, etc.)
  • Office visits with a consultant
  • Office visits for contraceptive management and annual gynecology wellness visits
  • Pharmacy prescriptions
  • Supplies (bandages, splints, braces, crutch rental, etc.)
  • Missed appointments that are not canceled before scheduled time
Payment and reimbursement

Fees for services not covered under the health fee will be billed to the student’s OSU account.

For OSU-sponsored insurance plans:

OSU-sponsored insurance plans include Aetna Student Health and the PacificSource Graduate Assistant Plan.

The SHS insurance office will directly bill your plan if you have this type of coverage.

For all other insurance plans:

Your insurance will be billed as a courtesy per your request. SHS does not have contracts with other insurance plans and is considered an "out-of-network" provider.

You must provide a copy of your insurance card prior to services and sign an Assignment of Benefits (AOB) form. You can also supply insurance plan information via the Patient Portal.

Be aware that charges will still appear on your account after SHS has billed your insurance.

Prescription charges:

Prescription charges will not be included in your billing as SHS Billing Office does not have access to those records. You will have to request those directly from the OSU Pharmacy.


  • Specific questions about billing procedures: call 541-737-2068
  • Questions about OSU Aetna coverage: call 541-737-7600
  • Questions about PacificSource GTA coverage: call 541-737-7568

Student Health Services Billing Office

110 Plageman Bldg
Corvallis, OR 97331
Phone: 541-737-2068 
Fax: 541-737-7914

Student Health Services is not a participating provider for Oregon Health Plan and all non-OSU sponsored insurance plans. Students who are on the Oregon Health Plan and have paid the OSU health fee may still come to SHS for their office visits, which are covered by their OSU health fee. However, any additional services that incur a charge are the responsibility of the patient.

Summer session medical care

Our programs and services are available to students who are enrolled in summer session and have paid the health fee.

Students can access services over the summer without being enrolled in summer session if they:

  • Were enrolled at OSU the previous spring term
  • Will also be registering for fall term
  • Pay the health fee for summer term.

You can pay the summer health fee either in person at Kerr Administration or online. Payment is not accepted at the health center.

Billing FAQ

Aetna student insurance

What is the billing process for the Aetna Student Health Insurance plan?

We bill all Student Health Services (SHS) charges to Aetna. When SHS receives payment for covered charges and there is a student responsibility of 10 percent due, this amount due will be posted to your Student Account in Banner. Students are responsible for charges on their student account. You will receive an explanation of benefits (EOB) from the insurance company regarding the processing of your medical claims within Student Health Services. 

I have Aetna Student Health and will be traveling. Will you bill any services that might happen while I am traveling?

On Call International is your provider when you travel. For information on the plan when traveling, please call 866-525-1956, or click here.

How do I know if my charges have been sent to Aetna for processing? 

Students can contact Aetna Customer Service 1-800-683-1799 to inquire about their medical claims. For pharmacy, contact OSU Student Health Center Pharmacy in regard to processing of your claims.

How does the ASOSU insurance premium subsidy work?

The ASOSU subsidy is handled and distributed by the ASOSU office. You must pay your insurance premium before you apply for the subsidy and you must apply for the subsidy during the open enrollment period. Please refer questions regarding this to the ASOSU office.

I enrolled in my OSU Insurance plan late. How do I get my billings sent to Aetna for the time I am covered? 

For all services rendered at Student Health Services the charges will be submitted on your behalf to Aetna. If services were rendered outside of Student Health Services, you must contact their office directly with your updated insurance information for reprocessing of claims.

What is the “Mandatory Insurance Premium” charge that appears on my student account bill? 

International students are required to carry health insurance to attend classes at OSU. The bill for that insurance is automatically billed to the student’s account each term. If the student has coverage that is comparable to what is required they will need to visit the Insurance Office on the first floor of Student Health Services, Room 110. They will need to provide proof of their insurance and its coverage. This information will need to be in English and in U.S. currency. The charge on the account is for students only. Any student needing to add dependent coverage must come in and arrange that with the insurance office.

PacificSource insurance

What is the billing process for the PacificSource Graduate Insurance plan?

The billing office will automatically bill your charges for services received in the student health center to PacificSource, who will process them and send an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) to you explaining what was paid or wasn’t paid, and why. If there is patient responsibility, this amount will be put to your student account in Banner. It is your responsibility to pay charges on your student account.

I am on the PacificSource Grad Plan; will you bill any services that might happen while I am traveling?

To find a participating provider outside the region covered by the PacificSource Provider network, please contact PacificSource Customer Service at 541-684-5584 or toll free (in U.S.) 888-691-8209. Click here for information about care and management of billing while traveling within the U.S. or abroad. For international travel information, please visit the website for Assist America.

How do I know if my charges have been sent to PacificSource for processing?

Claims can be viewed online; students will need to set up their own online access with PacificSource. If a claim is not received for services rendered at Student Health, please feel free to contact Billing Office. You can also contact the customer service representative with your insurance.

I have PacificSource, but am on COBRA. How do I have my services billed to PacificSource?

This is the same as the billing process for PacificSource plans, as long as the insurance is provided at time of service.

Private insurance

Will you bill my private insurance for my services at Student Health?

We will courtesy bill your insurance; however, all charges for services received at SHS will be put to your student account in Banner. If we receive payment for these services, we will apply this payment to your student account.

Will my private insurance cover my services at Student Health?

It is the student’s responsibility to know their insurance benefits for services rendered at Student Health Services. We are unable to quote coverage for any privately insured student; please contact your insurance directly. Student Health is currently not contracted with any non-OSU sponsored health plans and is not on your insurance’s Preferred Provider list for your plan. Most of the charges incurred at Student Health Services will be processed toward your out-of-network benefits or not at all. Please contact your insurance to know what your benefits are at the out-of-network level. Typically, for most insurance companies the website and member’s customer service numbers are located on the back of the insurance card.

Note: If you have Kaiser Permanente insurance, your plan may offer a Student Out-Of-Area plan to cover services out of Kaiser’s service area. Not all Kaiser plans offer this benefit; call your customer service to see if you qualify.

Do I need to obtain a pre-authorization from my insurance company before having services at Student Health?

Depending on the service your insurance company may require a pre-authorization. If your insurance company is Group Health or Kaiser, they require a pre-authorization for any services performed outside of their facilities that are not emergent in nature. Most insurance companies will require a pre-authorization for physical therapy, X-rays, and certain services that our clinicians may refer you out for, such as CT scans, MRIs or ultrasounds. To know if your insurance requires a pre- authorization for your service, call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.

I sent in a bill to my insurance, but they paid Student Health. What happens with that payment? 

When you send your charges to your insurance company and they pay Student Health rather than reimbursing you directly, we will apply the payment to your student account. It will show on your account statement as an “Insurance Payment.

General billing

How can I obtain an itemized billing statement to send to my insurance?

There are several ways to obtain an itemized billing statement. You may submit the request to the Billing Office by filling out the Itemized Billing Request form located on the SHS website under the Forms section. This request needs to include, your name, student ID #, what dates you were at Student Health that you want your billings for, where you would like us to send the billing back to, either your address or your parents, (we will not send this to your insurance company; unless a copy of the front and back of your insurance card is attached), and a signature. Another way is to come into the Billing Office on the first floor of Student Health, Room 110, with your student ID and we can print it out for you then. Please note, most billings are not available until 2-3 weeks after your appointment and it takes 1-2 weeks to process any billing request. 

I have questions about my charges, who can I ask, and how?

If you have questions about your charges, you can contact the Billing Office at Student Health, Room 110, or by phone at 541-737-2068.

How can I pay my bill?

Currently Student Health can accept payments in the form of check, cash or debit/credit. We can only accept payment for charges related to Student Health and/or Insurance premiums; all other student-related fees needs to be paid through the cashier’s office at Kerr Administration.

Does the itemized billing statement include all information needed to bill my insurance?

The itemized statement includes diagnosis code (ICD-9) with description and procedure (CPT) codes with description clinician name, office name and address, tax ID number, and the amount of the charges, as well as the information we use to identify you at Student Health (i.e. your name, address, and ID number). You will need to either enclose a copy of your insurance ID card, or fill out a claim form to send with the Itemized Billing Statement to ensure your insurance company can locate you in their system. It is also helpful for the insurance company to include your date of birth.

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident and I don’t know how to submit my charges to the insurance.

Please contact the Billing Office so that we can help you navigate the process for billing your appropriate insurance. Please have both your auto and medical insurance on hand. We may need you to come to our office to sign a medical release.

I was hurt at work and I filed a Worker’s Compensation claim. I will be having services/have had services at Student Health. How will those bills be handled?

Please contact the Billing Office so that we can help you navigate the process for billing the appropriate insurance.