Graduate Assistant Insurance Plan

What benefits are included?

The Graduate Employee Health Plan through PacificSource includes platinum-level coverage for medical, dental, and vision services. A summary of benefits can be found at the Policies link above.

Am I eligible?

Graduate Assistants with an appointment 0.30 to 0.49 FTE, who are represented by the Coalition if Graduate Employees (CGE) union, are eligible for this mandatory insurance benefit. 

(Note: If you are a Graduate Assistant who is not represented by the CGE union, such as Graduate Assistants who are part of an athletic coaching staff, then you are not eligible for this insurance benefit. Please contact the Insurance Coordinator at 541-737-7568 if you have questions).

How do I pay for it?

Premiums will be deducted from your paycheck monthly. Premiums are deducted in the same month for which you have coverage.

What does it cost?

Per the Coalition of Graduate Employees (CGE) union bargaining agreement, Article 28, Oregon State University contributes 89% of the monthly premium for the employee and dependent coverage, plus 50% of the administration fee.

The employee pays 11% of the monthly premium for themselves and dependent coverage, plus 50% of the administration fee.

The following amounts are the Graduate Assistant responsibility:

Premiums for 2018-19 Plan Year (per month):

  • Employee-Only: $50.91
  • Employee + Spouse/Partner: $99.77
  • Employee + Child(ren): $85.11
  • Employee + Family: 133.96
  • Dental Only: $49.84 (no OSU contribution for dental only)

* These rates are deducted pre-tax. Please also see the Summer Session insurance section below for required summer insurance prepay rates.

When will my insurance be effective?

Your insurance begin date is dependent on your position start date.

Position Start Date: 1st – 15th of the month, coverage starts the 1st of the same month

Position Start Date: 16th – last day of the month, coverage starts the 1st of the following month

Coverage will end the last day of the same month that your position ends.

What paperwork do I need?

Graduate Assistants are automatically enrolled in employee-only coverage. You will only need to submit an enrollment form if you are enrolling dependents to your plan. Enrollment forms and waiver application forms are to be submitted to the OSU Insurance Office within 30 days of the start of your assistantship.

A new waiver application is required each fall term to be submitted no later than October 1st. New enrollments or waivers are due any time you return from a break in your assistantship.

Can I enroll family members in this coverage?

Yes. Eligible dependents can be enrolled onto your plan within the first 30 days of your position start date, during the fall term open enrollment period, or when a qualifying life event occurs. Qualifying life events include: birth, marriage, permanent move to U.S., adoption, or involuntary loss of other group coverage. 

How is PacificSource billed for my services at SHS?

The OSU Student Health Billing Office will submit claims to the insurance company for services rendered at the Student Health Center on-campus.

The billing process may take 4-6 weeks before the insurance responds with an explanation of payment. If you have a balance after the insurance has responded, then the charges will be reflected on your OSU business account.

Patients are responsible for paying charges on their student account. If you have any questions regarding billing for services at the OSU Student Health Clinic please contact our Billing Specialist at (541) 737-8370.

How do I use my coverage outside of Student Health?

For services outside of the Student Health Center, refer to the list of Preferred Providers found online at the PacificSource website (choose plan network – PSN).

When you go to that provider for an appointment, present your insurance card.

You can also call PacificSource Customer Service at 1-888-977-9299 for assistance.

What if I have other insurance?

If you have your own insurance plan, and the coverage is considered equal or superior to the PacificSource plan offered by OSU, then you may qualify for an approved waiver.

You will need to submit the waiver application form, copy of insurance cards, and summary of benefits detailing your plan coverage to the OSU Student Health Insurance Office by the first of the month for which you are eligible (October 1 for fall term).

You will be notified via email with a decision of waiver approval or denial. You can find the waiver requirements/application form under the Forms link above.

How does insurance work during summer session?

Per the CGE bargaining agreement, Article 28, all Graduate Assistants with a position during at least one term of the academic year are to be automatically enrolled in the summer session insurance.

Summer session insurance includes the same level of PacificSource Health coverage for July, August, and September. The premiums are deducted over a course of 9 months between October and June, prior to summer session. No premiums are deducted in July, August, or September if premiums are prepaid during the academic year. The following amounts are the Graduate Assistant responsibility.

Summer 1/9 premium rates for 2018-19 plan year (per month)*:

  • Employee-Only - $16.97
  • Employee + Spouse/Partner - $33.26
  • Employee + Child(ren) - $28.37
  • Employee + Family – $44.65

* Deducted monthly post-tax.

You have the option to opt-out of summer coverage and be refunded the prepaid premiums if you do not have an assistantship during the summer term or are paid in a student hourly position during summer term. You are required to opt-out of the summer session insurance if you are graduating in terms prior to summer term, and/or will not return as a student in the Graduate School either summer or Fall term, as you are NOT eligible for summer session insurance. You will only be refunded the prepaid premiums if you submit the Summer Insurance Opt-Out form.

Deadline to Opt-Out is May 1

No changes will be allowed after this deadline. You can find the opt-out form under the Forms link at the top of this page. Refunds will be processed in June payroll.

*If your assistantship ends prior to spring term, please use the following deadlines: Fall term – December 1; Winter term – March 1.

Can I keep my coverage after my assistantship ends?

Once your position ends, you have the option of enrolling the COBRA continuation plan for up to 18 months as needed.

COBRA is a continuation of the same coverage on PacificSource Health plans, however you will pay the full premium monthly directly to PacificSource Administrators.

When your position ends, PacificSource Administrators will mail the COBRA election forms to you. To enroll, simply complete the forms and return to PacificSource Administrators with a payment.

Additional information can be found by following the Policies link above.

Who can I contact if I have more questions?

General Insurance Questions: 541-737-6748