- ABOUT SHS
- Clinic Services
- Allergy and Asthma
- Consulting Specialists
- Lab and X-ray
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Advice Nurse Line
- Men's/Women's Health
- Occupational Health
- Oregon Contraceptive Care
- Psychiatric Services
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner
- SHS @ Dixon
- Sports Medicine/Physical Therapy
- Travel Medicine
- Health Promotion
- Domestic Student Insurance Plan
- International Student Insurance Plan
- Graduate Assistant Insurance Plan
- Graduate Fellow Insurance Plan
- Postdoctoral Fellow Insurance Plan
- Postdoctoral Scholar Insurance Plan
- Students with Private Insurance
- ASOSU Insurance Subsidy
- Common Medical Insurance Terms
- Insurance Resources
- Clinic Services
- NEW STUDENTS
Oregon State University places high priority on preventing the spread of infectious diseases such as influenza, HPV, meningitis, MRSA, norovirus, pertussis and scabies. To promote the health and well-being of the campus community, Student Health Services offers preventive information on these diseases, as well as supplying any immunizations that are available for specific diseases.
Following are the recommended immunization schedules for adults and adolescents. These schedules are approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/index.html).
For timely, accurate, and proven information about vaccines and the diseases they prevent, visit the Immunization Action Coalition website.
Is It a Cold or the Flu?
Different viruses cause the cold and flu. The two sicknesses share symptoms, but flu is more severe.
- Cold – runny nose, mild aches, mild cough, sore throat, may have a low fever.
- Flu – fever is usually 101 degrees or higher, more severe aches, headache, mild runny nose.
|General aches and pains||Slight||Usual, often intense|
|Fatigue and weakness||Very mild||Common. can last 2–3 weeks|
|Extreme exhaustion||Never||Early and prominent|
|Chest discomfort, cough||Mild||Common, can get severe|
Posters to Download and Print
- "Protect Yourself and Others" poster from OSU Student Health Services (PDF)
- "Wash Your Hands" poster from OSU Student Health Services (PDF)
- "Clean Your Hands" poster from Oregon Department of Human Services (PDF)
- "Cover Your Cough" poster from Oregon Department of Human Services (PDF)
Additional "Cover Your Cough" posters in various languages are available at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/covercough.htm.