Clinic Services

Clinical services are available for both routine and urgent care. Appointments are encouraged, but more urgent patients are triaged and seen in a timely fashion. Students benefit by establishing a primary care provider (physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant) of their choice early in their academic careers.

Support services are an integral part of the Student Health Services that provides additional health care and services to the campus community.

We invite faculty and staff to take advantage of our annual influenza vaccination clinics, massage therapy, and Travel Clinic services, including administration of pre-travel immunizations. Additionally, SHS makes its professional staff available to faculty and staff who have concerns about individual students. Within the boundaries of confidentiality policies, our staff is eager to help faculty or staff address the needs of students.

To find out more about the services we provide, please make your selection from the links on the right side of this page.

If you require medical attention during non-clinic hours:

Emergency room services are provided at:
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center
3600 NW Samaritan Drive
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-768-5111

For non-life threatening injuries or illnesses when Student Health Services is closed, there are two immediate care clinics in Corvallis:

Corvallis Clinic Immediate Care Center
Asbury Building
3680 NW Samaritan Drive
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-754-1282
Weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Weekends and holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Samaritan Urgent Care Center
5234 SW Philomath Blvd. (in Sunset Plaza next to Safeway)
Corvallis, OR 97333
Phone: 541-768-4970
Weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.


Acupuncture is a system of medical diagnosis and treatment which originated in ancient China. Acupuncture is defined by Oregon law as a part of the practice of medicine and includes the following techniques:

Eligibility and Cost

Acupuncture is available at Student Health Services @ Dixon (Dixon Recreation Center) to students only. Check the Most Common Fees section of this website for current charges. Students do not require a medical referral and can make an appointment by calling 541-737-7556 or 541-737-9355.

Please download, print, and fill out the Acupuncture Health History Form (PDF) before your first visit, and bring the completed form with you to your appointment.


In China, acupuncture is used in a very broad range of disorders. In the USA, it is used in a more limited way, often in conjunction with the other medical resources available here. Conditions that are commonly treated are the following:

Chronic and Acute Pain

Neurologic Rehabilitation

Abdominal Conditions

Respiratory Diseases

Psycho-physical Conditions

Drug Withdrawal

Contraindications and Side Effects

Acupuncture is contraindicated in people with severe bleeding disorders. In case of severe trauma or life threatening medical disorders, treatment by biomedical providers is most appropriate. Side effects from acupuncture are very rare, potentially including the following:

Here at SHS we have never had a serious injury result from acupuncture treatment.

Patients with bleeding disorders, pacemakers, or pregnancy should inform the acupuncturist prior to treatment.

How Many Treatments are Necessary?

This depends on your individual condition and how well you respond to acupuncture treatment. Generally, chronic conditions require more treatment than acute; younger patients tend to heal faster than the elderly. The acupuncturist can usually estimate the number of treatments required for similar cases.

How Does Acupuncture Work?

Acupuncture draws on the body's own ability to heal itself, apparently stimulating that function in several ways. According to traditional Chinese medical theory, acupuncture balances the energy flow of the body. Each acupuncture point has well-defined functions for the restoration of health and harmony. While the mechanisms of action remain only partially understood, there is a significant body of research demonstrating the effects of acupuncture.

Acupuncture Needles

Only pre-sterilized disposable acupuncture needles are used during the procedure. Needles are used only one time and then disposed of safely.

About Acupuncturists

Oregon has had licensed acupuncturists as independent practitioners for more than 20 years. The State requires three years of training in an approved program. Course work includes relevant Western biomedical sciences as well as acupuncture. A board examination is also required to be licensed as an L.Ac. (Licensed Acupuncturist).

Allergy and Asthma

SHS hopes to assist you in any way possible with the management of your allergy and asthma symptoms while you are an OSU student.

Many people suffer from allergies, especially seasonal allergies. The Willamette Valley, which includes Corvallis, is notorious for causing increased symptoms for allergy and asthma sufferers. Many people with asthma also suffer from allergies, which can trigger their asthma symptoms. However, asthma can occur without allergic symptoms, such as exercise-induced asthma. To meet your educational needs as efficiently and effectively as possible, this page has been divided into two main links:

What is the Allergy and Asthma Clinic?

The Allergy and Asthma Clinic provides primary treatment and education about allergy and asthma with the goal of optimizing control of your symptoms and, in so doing, improving your quality of life. If you need treatment for symptoms, medication refills, or a medical evaluation you should make an appointment with a clinician. The nurses in the department see patients who are referred by a clinician for pulmonary function testing, education, or information on available resources. Nurses also work with outside providers to give immunotherapy (allergy shots).

Why see us?

As college health care providers, we are not only able to provide allergy and asthma care, but we do so with the ultimate goal of keeping you fit and healthy so you can be academically successful. We can also refer you to other campus resources that can assist you with a variety of problems.

How do I make an appointment?

If you are experiencing severe asthma or allergy symptoms (difficulty breathing), seek medical attention immediately at Student Health Services if the clinic is open, or at an alternate clinic or Emergency Room. If symptoms are life threatening call 9-1-1.

Call the main Student Health Services number: 541-737-WELL (9355) to schedule an appointment with a clinician for allergies and/or asthma. If you have questions please call: 541-737-7565 to speak with an asthma/allergy nurse.

What should I bring with me?

Bring a list of all medications with you to your appointment. Also, bring any other relevant information you may have.

For more information: Health Oregon Asthma Web site.

Allergies and Treatment

Desensitization Injections (Allergy Shots)

Administering antigens outside of a medical facility equipped to handle allergic reactions is unwise. We therefore advise against patients injecting themselves or having others do it at home. Allergy patients who are pregnant or taking beta adrenergic blocking medication will be referred back to their own allergist (or to a local allergist) for their injections.

The following is some important information and procedures of which you need to be aware before initiating allergy treatment at SHS. Please take a few minutes to review this page; the Allergy and Asthma Clinic nurse is pleased to answer any questions or concerns you might have about your allergies or allergy treatment at SHS.

Important Information About Allergy Injections

Students who require allergy injections may store their allergen solution at Student Health Services. A nurse will assist in following the injection schedule and will provide follow-up care. You may be able to receive an injection without an appointment if you are willing to wait for any students who may have scheduled appointments prior to your arrival. Scheduled appointments eliminate the inconvenience of such waits; ask the Allergy and Asthma Clinic nurse about scheduling appointments.

Serum ordered by an outside physician is stored at SHS for your convenience. The allergy nurse will insure that the vial is clearly labeled with the following information before storage: your name, contents, concentration, manufacturer and expiration date. Please supply the Allergy and Asthma Clinic nurse with a schedule of injections, dosage prescribed, and comments about any reactions you might have had.

If your vials have been mailed to us, please check with the Allergy and Asthma Clinic nurse to be sure it has arrived before you are due for an injection. All antigen left in the Allergy and Asthma Clinic will be discarded when it becomes outdated, or one year from the date of manufacture noted on the label.

During Appointments for Allergy Injections

It's important that you communicate the following information to the Allergy and Asthma Clinic nurse before receiving an injection so that proper dosage can be determined:

  • Signs or symptoms of illness, extreme fatigue or a flare up of allergy symptoms
  • Delayed reactions to the previous injection that occurred after leaving the clinic
  • Changes in amounts, frequency or types of medications

It is unsafe to receive allergy injections within a short period before or after donating blood or receiving certain immunizations. If you plan to donate blood or if you need an immunization, you may need to schedule your allergy injection at least 48 hours before or after either experience. Some immunizations can be given at the same time as allergy injections, including vaccinations for flu and tetanus.

Serious systemic reactions to antigen are rare but unpredictable. When they do occur, it is usually within 30 minutes of an injection. For your protection, we require that you remain at Student Health Services for 30 minutes following your injection. Students who do not comply with the full waiting period will be referred to an outside provider for allergy injections. Before leaving, allow the nurse to check the injection site for local reaction.

Initial visits are done for all desensitization patients during the first appointment of the school year. Health information is updated and consents are signed.

Between Allergy Injections

Strenuous activities should be avoided following an injection of antigen. Please avoid activities that increase the heart rate for at least two hours after you receive an injection: running, jogging, team sports, racket sports, skiing, skating, tennis, taking saunas, sunbathing or using a hot tub.

The source of your allergy symptoms (dust mites, pollens, animal dander, mold, etc.) should be avoided as much as possible during the 24 hour periods before and after your injection. It is advisable to have an antihistamine on hand. If you have none, please consult a clinician at SHS. There is no office visit fee for appointments with SHS clinicians.


A fee is assessed for each injection you receive. The Allergy and Asthma Clinic nurse can tell you what the fee is currently. For more information, visit Billing and Insurance.

Allergy and Asthma Clinic Hours

Allergy services are scheduled daily Monday through Friday during clinic hours until 4:00 p m.

Asthma and Treatment

Your health is the foundation of your ultimate success as a student at Oregon State University. As someone with asthma, your overall health depends on good control of your asthma symptoms. The goal of the Allergy and Asthma Clinic is to provide primary education to allergy and asthma patients to optimize control of symptoms. As you learn to control your asthma symptoms, you also improve your quality of life.

Management of Asthma in Adults and Children (PDF)

This document, though somewhat technical, should be understandable to the educated asthma patient. It outlines treatment and education recommendations for asthma symptom management at four stages of severity/intensity. Ask your provider if you have questions about these asthma guidelines.

Asthma Action Plan (PDF)

This Asthma Action Plan, provided by the American Lung Association, lists symptoms and treatments according to asthma severity. If you have asthma, ask your health care provider to complete an Asthma Action Plan for you.

Asthma Symptom Control

This brief quiz will assist you in knowing whether your asthma symptoms are being adequately controlled. If the quiz informs you that your symptoms are not adequately controlled on your current asthma treatment plan, please see your health care provider.

Asthma Symptom Control

Frequent or premature refills on asthma rescue inhalers (Albuteral, Proventil, Ventolin, Maxair), raise concern that your asthma is not under adequate control. If you can answer "yes" to any of the following questions, it is strongly suggested that you make an appointment with your provider to have your asthma care plan re-evaluated.

  1. Have you experienced chest tightness or shortness of breath more than twice each week?
  2. Have you been awakened by these symptoms more than twice in the last month?
  3. Did the quick relief medication incompletely control the symptoms?
  4. Has your asthma kept you from doing anything you wanted to do in the last two weeks?
  5. Have you missed work or school because of your asthma in the last two months?
  6. Have you needed to go to an emergency room for your asthma in the last two months?

Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD/ADD)

Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (or ADHD) is characterized by a number of symptoms that begin in childhood. Problems with attention, concentration and organization, impulsive behaviors, fidgeting and distractibility are a few of the common symptoms. Some people will have these symptoms minus the hyperactive fidgeting, sometimes referred to as ADD. There is no single test for ADHD/ADD, which is a complex condition and is sometimes difficult to diagnose. It is important to have a thorough evaluation since these symptoms could be the result of other conditions or factors not related to ADHD.

Other Conditions Can Cause Poor Focus and/or Distractibility

It is important to know that ADHD/ADD is not the only cause of poor focus and/or distractibility. Other causes might include depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, substance misuse, sleep disorders or sleep deprivation.

Diagnosing ADHD/ADD

The best way to determine if you have ADHD/ADD is to have a thorough diagnostic evaluation involving testing, clinical interviews, and a review of corroborating evidence (such as school records). While there are many options for treatment of ADHD/ADD on campus, there are no resources on campus to actually diagnose ADHD/ADD.

If you suffer from poor focus and/or distractibility, you can schedule an appointment with a clinician at Student Health Services (SHS) or at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) to help you better understand the root cause of your problem. Whatever the cause of these symptoms, CAPS and SHS will assist you with treatment options and with getting a diagnostic evaluation if ADHD/ADD is suspected.

If your clinician feels that ADHD/ADD might be an issue, staff will provide you with information about off-campus agencies and providers who can do a thorough diagnostic evaluation. You may be eligible for financial assistance through Disability Access Services (DAS) to pay for such an evaluation if you receive federal financial aid.

  • If you choose an agency or provider to do your diagnostic evaluation with the intention that their assessment would enable SHS to prescribe your medications, please keep in mind that SHS will need your provider to give us information as outlined in Required Elements for Diagnostic Evaluations.
  • Receiving accommodations as a student with a disability (ADHD) is different than receiving medical care through SHS. Please be aware that documentation or a diagnostic assessment with the goal of receiving accommodations for a disability may be different than documentation requirements for SHS. Refer to Disability Access Services (DAS) for more information about how DAS may be able to help.

Treatment and Support

With or without a specific diagnosis of ADHD/ADD, Counseling and Psychological Services, Disability Access Services, and the Academic Success Center offer services to help students succeed in their academic and social goals. In addition, Student Health can offer medical treatment options to students who provide the necessary documentation that strongly supports a diagnosis of ADHD/ADD and meets Student Health’s criteria for prescribing medications. Our clinicians can also medically treat a number of other conditions that may be interfering with a student’s academic and social function.

Counseling and Psychological Services

  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides individual services that can help you develop effective habits to compensate for poor focus, distractibility, disorganization, and/or difficulty completing tasks, whether caused by ADHD/ADD or by other conditions. They can also help with issues of poor self-esteem, lack of self-confidence, anxiety and/or depression that can accompany ADHD/ADD.
  • CAPS also offers an ADHD support group that teaches specific skills for coping with ADHD, both in and out of the classroom. The group provides an environment for students to learn from each other and receive social support for the struggles that come with having ADHD.
  • For more information about CAPS services, call 541-737-2131 or visit their website at

Disability Access Services

  • Disability Access Services (DAS) facilitates access to university programs and services for students with disabilities through accommodations, education, consultation, and advocacy. Specifically, DAS provides accommodations to students with diagnosed disabilities, including ADHD.
  • Accommodations vary, based on the individual needs of the student making the accommodation request. Information regarding documentation requirements to receive accommodations and how to get started with DAS can be found at or call 541-737-4098.
  • PLEASE NOTE: Documentation that allows for academic accommodations through DAS does not necessarily meet the criteria for medication treatment at SHS. Refer to Documentation Necessary to Receive Medication for those requirements.

Academic Success Center

  • The Academic Success Center (ASC) offers Academic Coaching. Students can get support in time management, test preparation, test taking and more.
  • Check out the Learning Corner on the ASC website. In particular, students may want to check out the sections on concentration and active learning.

Student Health Services

  • Student Health Services (SHS) can manage students’ medications for ADHD if they provide documentation that meets our criteria for prescribing. If you would like SHS to manage your medications, carefully read Documentation Necessary to Receive Medication.
  • PLEASE NOTE: Because this process takes some time, you should make arrangements to continue ADHD-related care with your current provider for at least three months. Of course, SHS will see you for any other health issues or concerns during this time.

Required Elements for Diagnostic Evaluations

Whether you were diagnosed long ago, or whether you are seeking a diagnostic evaluation now, Student Health Services (SHS) must receive and review documentation of your ADHD/ADD diagnostic evaluation, as well as your treatment records if previously treated. Our ADHD Assessment Team meets periodically to review complete records, in the order in which they are received, to determine if we can safely prescribe your medicines.

Diagnostic Evaluations Should Include These Elements

  1. Clinical records from medical and mental health providers, parental interviews, school report cards or assessments. Clinical records might contain:
    • History from you that includes screening tools for inattention (e.g. Brown, Connors), depression and anxiety (e.g. Beck Inventories).
    • History from parents, ideally with primary school reports/report cards, or from some other corroborating source.
  2. Testing from a clinical psychologist, which might include:
    • IQ testing (e.g. WAIS-IV, WASI II)
    • Achievement tests (i.e. Kaufman, Woodcock Johnson III)
    • Performance measures (i.e. CPT, TOVA)


  • While the evaluations containing the above referenced elements will allow the ADHD Assessment Team to make a complete determination, submitting these records does not guarantee that SHS will prescribe medication. Such determinations will be made on a case-by-case basis.
  • If you are looking into a diagnostic evaluation by a clinical psychologist of your choosing, you should show them a list of the elements above to ensure you receive the testing we will need to benefit you in the academic setting.

Documentation Necessary to Receive Medication

In order to be prescribed medication for ADHD/ADD, Student Health Services (SHS) must receive and review documentation of prior ADHD/ADD diagnosis and treatment. Our ADHD Assessment Team meets periodically to review complete records, in the order they are received, to determine if we can safely prescribe your medicines.

How to Get Your Records to SHS

SHS will likely need two sets of records:

  1. A copy of the testing and evaluation that was done to diagnose ADHD/ADD
  2. A copy record of the treatment that you received (e.g. medications, counseling, etc.)

In order to receive all records relevant to your previous ADHD/ADD evaluation and treatment, you will need to sign one Release of Information (ROI) form for each of the different providers involved in your care. Please visit or call the reception desk at Student Health (541-737-9355) to discuss what forms you will need to sign.

Please understand that, by law, your prescribing clinician may not re-release the records sent to him or her by the providers who may have originally tested and diagnosed you. In such an instance, you would need to sign two release forms; more may be necessary.

If Records Do Not Meet SHS Criteria

If the ADHD Assessment Team determines that your records do not meet our criteria to prescribe your medications, we will schedule an appointment to let you know what information is lacking, and we will discuss methods for getting the necessary details. At this point, you will have several options:

  • You may continue with your current provider to maintain your prescriptions.
  • You may establish with a local community provider, who will decide if they are able to prescribe for you based on the information that you provide them.
  • You may request a list of providers who can complete a diagnostic evaluation that we know will contain the elements that meet our criteria to prescribe for you.

If Records Do Meet SHS Criteria

If the ADHD Assessment Team determines that your records do meet our criteria to prescribe medications, we will contact you to make an appointment with a clinician to discuss prescriptions.

Offices That Perform ADHD Testing

The following are local resources that perform testing for ADHD/ADD and learning disabilities.

Kim Golletz, PhD
Peak Psychological Services

1300 NW Harrison Blvd, Suite 100    
Corvallis, OR 97330

Corvallis Clinic Behavioral Health
444 NE Elks Drive
Corvallis, OR 97330

Good Samaritan Mental Health
3509 NW Samaritan Drive
Corvallis, OR 97330

OSU Disability Access Services
A200 Kerr Administration Building
1500 SW Jefferson Ave.
(DAS staff refer eligible students to Western Oregon University)
You may be eligible for financial assistance through Disability Access Services (DAS) to pay for such an evaluation if you receive federal financial aid.


Chiropractic is a health care profession that focuses on disorders of the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system, and the effects of these disorders on general health. Chiropractic care is used most often to treat neuro-musculoskeletal complaints, including but not limited to back pain, neck pain, pain in the joints of the arms or legs, and headaches.

Why Choose Chiropractic?

Chiropractic is effective in the treatment of lower back ailments and neck injuries and may be effective in the treatment of some headaches and other pains. Other benefits of chiropractic care include:

What is Chiropractic and Who Provides It?

The most common therapeutic procedure performed by doctors of chiropractic is known as “spinal manipulation.” The purpose of manipulation is to restore joint mobility by manually applying a controlled force into joints that have become hypomobile – or restricted in their movement – as a result of a tissue injury. Tissue injury can be caused by a single traumatic event, such as improper lifting of a heavy object, or through repetitive stresses, such as sitting in an awkward position with poor spinal posture for an extended period of time. In either case, injured tissues undergo physical and chemical changes that can cause inflammation, pain, and diminished function for the sufferer. Manipulation, or adjustment of the affected joint and tissues, restores mobility, thereby alleviating pain and muscle tightness, and allowing tissues to heal.

At Student Health Services, your chiropractor is a highly qualified, well-trained and experienced licensed professional. The typical applicant at a chiropractic college has already acquired nearly four years of pre-medical undergraduate college education, including courses in biology, inorganic and organic chemistry, physics, psychology and related lab work. Once accepted into an accredited chiropractic college, the requirements become even more demanding — four to five academic years of professional study are the standard. Because of the hands-on nature of chiropractic, and the intricate adjusting techniques, a significant portion of time is spent in clinical training. In total, the chiropractic curriculum includes a minimum of 4,200 hours of classroom, laboratory and clinical experience.

Chiropractors have broad diagnostic skills and are also trained to recommend therapeutic and rehabilitative exercises, as well as to provide nutritional, dietary and lifestyle counseling.

How Should I Prepare and What Should I Expect from Chiropractic?

Chiropractic patients should wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing, preferably clothing that allows the patient to stretch. The initial visit will require approximately one hour. Follow-up visits will take about 30 minutes.

How Do I Make a Chiropractic Appointment?

Chiropractic care at OSU is available to students only, and is located at Student Health Services @ Dixon (Dixon Recreation Center). Appointments can be made by calling 541-737-7556 or by visiting the reception desk for SHS @ Dixon, just inside the west entrance. You can also schedule through the main SHS number, 541-737-9355. Appointments are made for half-hour or one-hour intervals.

There is a charge for this service. Check the Most Common Fees section of this Web site for current charges. Charges for chiropractic can be billed to your OSU student account. A medical referral is not necessary. However, check with your health care insurance provider for coverage requirements. If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call in advance. All missed appointments will be charged.


Source: American Chiropractic Association

Consulting Specialists

SHS contracts for the services of clinical specialists in the areas of dermatology, gynecology, orthopedics and surgery. We recommend that you see an SHS clinician to obtain a referral. This will prevent unnecessary expense to you in the event that your problem can be appropriately addressed by one of our own clinicians.


What is Diabetes?

Diabetes is the condition in which the body does not properly process food for use as energy. Most of the food we eat is turned into glucose, or sugar, for our bodies to use for energy. The pancreas, an organ that lies near the stomach, makes a hormone called insulin that facilitates the transportation of glucose from the blood stream into organs and muscles where it serves as the main energy source.

There are two main types of diabetes. In Type 1 diabetes, also known as insulin-dependent diabetes or juvenile diabetes, the pancreas does not produce enough insulin. In Type 2 diabetes, the most common form of diabetes, either the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or the body’s cells develop a resistance to insulin.

Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes

Type 1 Diabetes Type 2 Diabetes
  • Frequent urination
  • Unusual thirst
  • Extreme hunger
  • Unusual weight loss
  • Extreme fatigue and irritability
  • Blurred vision
  • Any of the symptoms for Type 1
  • Recurring skin, gum, bladder infections
  • Minor injuries slow to heal
  • Tingling/numbness in hands and feet

NOTE: Not all signs and symptoms may be present, and for Type 2 diabetes, persons can appear to be asymptomatic.

Risk Factors

Certain factors can put you at an increased risk for developing diabetes such as the following:


In Type 1 diabetes, there is no specific known prevention. To help prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 diabetes, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends the following:


Treatment depends on the type of diabetes mellitus and varies for each individual. The main goal with diabetes treatment is to restore normal blood glucose levels with insulin for Type 1 diabetes, and with a combination of physical activity, dieting and oral medications with or without insulin for Type 2 diabetes.


There are both short-term and long-term complications that can arise. Short-term complications, associated mostly with Type 1 diabetes, include the following:

Long-term effects of unmanaged diabetes in both Type 1 and Type 2 can cause serious health issues including heart disease, blindness, kidney failure, and lower-extremity amputations. According to the CDC reports in 2011, diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States.

Working together, people with diabetes, their support network, and their health care providers can reduce the occurrence of these and other diabetes complications by controlling the levels of blood glucose, blood pressure, and blood lipids, and by receiving other preventive care practices in a timely manner.

Diabetes Assistance at Student Health

Student Health provides various services to help you better manage and control your diabetes. The following is a list of services available to OSU students, most of which are available at no charge or at minimal cost. Be sure to ask your clinician if there will be additional charges associated with your office visit.

Clinic Services

  • Primary clinician care with the Diabetes Team comprised of physicians, nurse practitioners, nutritionist, and pharmacist
  • Referrals for specialized care
  • Foot care/neuropathy testing
  • Glucose meters and meter supplies (test strips, lancets, alcohol swabs) for emergencies
  • Insulin for hyperglycemic emergencies
  • Glucagon administration and/or snacks and juices for hypoglycemic emergencies
  • Finger stick glucose testing
  • Vaccines/Immunizations
  • Lab services (HbA1c, fasting glucose, urine dipstick, micro albumin, finger stick glucose)


Health Promotion

To make an appointment for the above services, call 541-737-9355. If you have a medical emergency, please dial 9-1-1 for assistance.

Diabetes Resources

Type 1 Beavers: OSU’s student-led organization that focuses on supporting students with diabetes and providing education and resources to help them better manage and understand their disease while facing college life.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

OSU Disability Access Services

American Diabetes Association 

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation

National Diabetes Education Program 

Lab and X-ray


The laboratory at Student Health Services is staffed by medical laboratory technologists, and is equipped to provide most diagnostic procedures. All tests in the lab require a clinician's order.

The lab is located on the first floor of the Plageman Building and the phone number is 541-737-7550. Lab hours are the same as clinic hours: Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Hours may vary during breaks and in the summer.

The SHS laboratory was a recipient of the 2009 Laboratory Excellence Award. The award – presented by COLA, a national healthcare accreditation organization – signifies the SHS laboratory’s commitment to providing accurate and reliable test results to OSU students.

The award is achieved by those laboratories that are found to be compliant with all COLA essential and required criteria at the time of their on-site accreditation survey, which is performed every two years. Accreditation is given only to laboratories that apply rigid standards of quality in day-to-day operations, demonstrate continued accuracy, and pass a rigorous on-site laboratory survey. This is the third consecutive award that the lab has received.


The X-ray department is located on the second floor of the Plageman Building where most diagnostic radiographs of major organs and bones can be provided. The staff consists of registered radiological technologists. A consulting radiologist (MD) interprets X-rays on a daily basis. X-rays must be ordered by your clinician.

Lab and X-ray fees can be found under Most Common Fees on this Web site.

Massage Therapy

Massage therapy is an age-old health practice that has become part of many OSU students' health and fitness routine. Students find that massage is a complement to other health services in promoting their health. Therapeutic massage can be a component of your health maintenance or wellness plan.

At Student Health Services, massage therapists are highly qualified, well-trained, experienced licensed professionals. Therapists may combine several different massage styles including Swedish, deep tissue and pressure points. Swedish massage is the most common which includes gentle strokes and deep kneading techniques.

To Make an Appointment

Massage Therapy is available at SHS @ Dixon. OSU students, faculty or staff can make appointments by calling 541-737-9355 or 541-737-7556.

Appointments are made for half-hour or one-hour intervals. If you are a student, charges for your massage can be billed to your OSU account. Faculty and staff must pay at the time of services. Check with your health care insurance provider for possible coverage. If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call in advance. Missed appointments will be charged. For current massage services rates, please see Most Common Fees.

Medical Advice Nurse Line

Medical advice is available by phone 24 hours a day, for OSU students only. During clinic hours, the advice line is staffed by a registered nurse; call 541-737-2724. If you have medical concerns after clinic hours, you can obtain a toll-free number for a medical call center by calling 541-737-9355.

Please note: This service is available only to OSU students who are eligible for care at Student Health Services. This is NOT a public medical advice number for the general community.

Self-care advice is available via Student Health's Healthier at School® Online Self-Care Guide.

Men's/Women's Health

Complete sexual health care, gynecologic care, and information are offered at Student Health Services. Men as well as women are encouraged to visit. Gynecology is staffed by practitioners who want you to know they are "askable."

The department provides annual health exams with appropriate screenings, pregnancy testing and counseling, birth control services, testing and treatment for sexually-transmitted diseases and other conditions affecting sexual and general health. Our clinicians and support staff are sensitive to the health issues and concerns facing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered and heterosexual students. We invite you to discuss your concerns with certainty of nonjudgmental treatment.

Men's Health

We do serve men as well. Men who would feel more comfortable seeing a male clinician will be referred to a male clinician.

Sexual health problems of men may include concerns about sexuality and sexual functioning, diagnosis and treatment of sexually-transmitted diseases, urinary tract infections and prostate conditions. Men need to be as concerned about the health of their sexual organs as women are of their own. We encourage male students to do regular self-exams of their testicles to check for the presence of abnormalities (e.g., lumps) that could signal a serious condition such as testicular cancer. This cancer occurs most commonly in young men, so regular self-exam is critical. A brochure entitled "Male Self-Exam" is available in the display racks on the third floor of the health center.

Women's Health

A physical exam is recommended for all women starting at age 21. This exam includes an assessment of general health as well as sexual health; it includes a breast exam, pelvic exam and a Pap smear - a laboratory screening for cervical cancer. Sexually transmitted infection testing can also be done at this visit. If you have never had a pelvic exam, our pamphlet entitled "Your Pelvic Exam" will help you know what to expect. The handout is available in the display racks on the third floor of the health center. Your provider can review the current guidelines regarding the frequency of this exam at your appointment. These exams are performed by female clinicians who are sensitive to nuances surrounding this important exam and can help you work through your feelings about it.

About Birth Control and "Mis-Conception"

Nationally, about 70 percent of college students report being sexually active. The majority of these students are in heterosexual relationships and therefore are capable of becoming pregnant, whether or not they desire it. For many college students, pregnancy creates a situation that requires difficult decision-making.

Student Health Services provides comprehensive birth control services to registered students and we encourage students who are sexually active to consider their need for contraception in advance of sexual activity. Many OSU students can qualify for the Oregon Contraceptive Care (CCare) program, which provides free contraception and health exams. Contact the CCare office at SHS for more information.

Whether you are seeking information about birth control or you need help selecting a method that is suitable to your health, lifestyle, and relationship, our clinicians can assist you. All methods of birth control are available at SHS. Emergency Contraception is also available. This is a medication that can be taken within five days after unprotected intercourse to lower pregnancy risk. It is more effective if taken as soon as possible after unprotected intercourse. A website that can be helpful for learning about different contraceptive options is

Pregnancy Testing and Counseling

Pregnancies do occur among OSU students - planned and desired ones as well as unplanned ones. Whether a student is afraid she is pregnant or hopes that she is, our clinicians can provide accurate diagnosis through a combination of examination and laboratory testing. When an unplanned pregnancy is confirmed, all options are made available to the student. No one will tell you what the best option is for you. You will be provided adequate information to carry out whichever decision is right for you and advised to make that decision on the basis of personal and family values and other relevant factors.

SHS does not perform abortion or adoption services. Referrals for these resources are routinely made by the clinician who diagnoses a pregnancy.


Pregnant students may continue to take advantage of all available healthcare services unrelated to the pregnancy, including nutrition counseling. However, since Student Health does not provide obstetrical care, students will be referred to local obstetricians or midwives for prenatal care.

Occupational Health

Reducing risk and protecting people is what the Occupational Health Program at OSU is all about. Student Health Services partners with Environmental Health and Safety to provide medical surveillance, immunizations and health and safety education to faculty, staff and student employees in the course of their employment at OSU.

For more information about Occupational Health, please visit

Oregon Contraceptive Care

OSU is pleased to participate in Oregon Contraceptive Care (CCare), formerly known as the Family Planning Expansion Project. This federal program provides FREE contraceptive management services, birth control, and reproductive health care to men and women. If you qualify you will not be billed for contraceptive management services. Even students who have health insurance can enroll in CCare.

Student Health Services is staffed by highly qualified health professionals who provide confidential services to guide you to the best birth control method for your lifestyle.

Please feel free to contact the SHS CCare office at 541-737-9140 or stop by anytime between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. You don’t need an appointment to enroll in CCare. We are located in the Plageman Building, Room 117, across from the elevator. 

What Is CCare?

CCare is a program that is funded by the Centers for Medicaid Services and the Oregon State Department of Human Services through a grant. This allows OSU Student Health to provide reproductive health care and contraceptive services to women and men who meet certain income criteria.

How Do I Know If I’m Eligible?

In order to qualify for the program, you must be a U.S. citizen. Your monthly income cannot exceed $2,432 for one person and $3,278 for a couple. This is just your income (before taxes) and does not include your parents’ income, nor does it include any money that is obtained through financial aid. If you meet this requirement, we can enroll you immediately and schedule an appointment for you to meet with a clinician, usually within a couple of days.

How Do I Enroll in CCare?

CCare is a part of Student Health Services and is located in the Plageman Building, Room 117 (across from the elevator). Our office hours are 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. The enrollment process takes less than 10 minutes, during which time you fill out a form and schedule an appointment with a clinician.

What Services Will CCare Provide?

CCare will pay for contraceptive management office visits including birth control consultations, initiation and follow-up care, a yearly exam, and emergency contraception.

What Birth Control Methods Are Available?

Oral contraceptives, emergency contraceptive (Plan B), ring, patch, Depo Provera (hormonal injection), IUS (Mirena), IUD (ParaGard), hormonal implant (Implanon), male and female Condoms, diaphragm, and spermicides are all methods available through CCare ["Cómo elegir un método anticonceptivo" (Spanish PDF)].

What Services Are Not Covered by CCare?

CCare does not provide treatment for bladder or urinary tract infections, prenatal care, pregnancy confirmation or STI testing and treatment.

Where Can I Go for My Contraceptives If I Am Not Eligible for CCare?

As an OSU student who has paid student fees for the current term, you can still access contraceptive services at Student Health. There is no charge for most visits. Labs, X-rays, and prescriptions can be billed to your student account.

What If I Have Insurance or Am On My Parents’ Plan?

Students who have insurance that covers contraceptive management can still be eligible for the program if they meet the other criteria. We will bill your insurance provider and then CCare as a secondary. You will not be charged. However, if you are insured under your parents’ plan you may request special confidentiality. In this case no insurance billing will go out and CCare will cover all charges. Feel free to contact the CCare office for more information at 541-737-9140.

I Am Not a Student at OSU. Can I Still Enroll?

Only those who have paid fees for the current term are eligible for CCare at Student Health Services. However, you can still apply for CCare services through Benton County Health Department or a Health Department in the city or county where you live. To locate a clinic near you, visit

Do I Have to Fill Out a New Enrollment Form If I Am Renewing CCare?

Yes. Clients must complete a new enrollment form annually. This will enable us to determine if you are still eligible to receive CCare services.

What Is the Duration of Eligibility for CCare?

Eligibility, once determined, will remain effective for one year (12 months) from the date of initial determination. Eligibility determined at one site is accepted at all CCare and/or Planned Parenthood clinics in Oregon.

Do I Have to See a Clinician Before I Can Get Contraceptives?

If you are new to the CCare program at SHS, you will need to schedule an initial office visit for contraceptive counseling. This appointment takes approximately 40 minutes. During this appointment your clinician will discuss different contraceptive methods and will help you choose the best method for your lifestyle. A prescription will be sent to the pharmacy, where you can pick it up. If you need emergency contraception before your initial visit, you can purchase it over the counter at the SHS pharmacy for minimal cost.

Do I Have to Have an Annual Exam to Start Contraceptives?

You do not need to schedule an annual exam to discuss contraception. After your initial office visit, your clinician can determine whether you should have an annual exam.

Psychiatric Services

Student Health Services has two full-time psychiatrists on staff. We offer psychiatric services, including evaluation and medication management, to all currently enrolled OSU students. Services are fully funded through the OSU Health Fee.

Prescription medication costs are not covered by student fees. Please review your insurance coverage for applicable charges.

To see one of the SHS psychiatrists, a referral is first required from a SHS clinician. For more information or to make an appointment, call 541-737-WELL (9355). 

Other Campus Counseling Resources

Comprehensive counseling services are available at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at Fifth Floor Snell Hall. Phone: 541-737-2131.

CAPS services are also covered by the OSU Health Fee, part of the tuition package. There may be separate fees charged for testing services that may be conducted in conjunction with counseling.

Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner

Student Health Services is committed to taking an active stance in survivor-focused health care. SHS now offers a fully integrated Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program to support any student, regardless of gender identity, who is a survivor of sexual assault. By offering exams at the campus health center, sexual assault survivors can be in familiar surroundings with caring clinicians and do not have to be concerned about arranging transportation to the hospital. Survivors can continue seeing a Student Health clinician for any other health exams as well, which allows for a continuum of care for the survivor that includes sensitivity to their experience.

Following are more facts about the SANE program at SHS:

Call 541-737-9355 or come to Student Health Services in the Plageman Building.

In addition, the OSU Health Promotion Department provides sexual violence education and awareness information for the campus community. Staff can provide workshops or presentations on topics related to dating violence, rape and sexual assault.

(For support in Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese, and traditional Chinese, please contact the Mid-Valley Women's Crisis Service.)

Sexual Assault/Harassment Amnesty Clause

The university WILL NOT pursue any conduct violation against a survivor for substance use, including alcohol, at the time of sexual assault/harassment if the sexual assault/harassment is reported to Student Conduct and Community Standards or the Office of Equity and Inclusion.

SHS @ Dixon

Take advantage of the expertise of Student Health Services clinicians and health educators at the convenient location of Dixon Recreation Center. Consult with our staff about nutrition, health coaching, personalized physical activity and walking programs, recovery from injury, or a general plan for health and wellness. SHS @ Dixon is proud to offer massage therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, physical therapy and sports medicine services.The clinicians and educators at SHS @ Dixon support a holistic approach to health, giving consideration to the broad influences that contribute to life balance and wellness. 

To make an appointment, call SHS @ Dixon at 541-737-7556, or stop by the reception desk just inside the main entrance to Dixon Recreation Center.

Sports Medicine/Physical Therapy

Sports Medicine

Sports medicine provides services for students who sustain physical injury. Students who are interested in physical fitness, conditioning and rehabilitation will find this service tailored to their needs. Sports Medicine services are complemented by SHS Physical Therapy services.

Physical Therapy

We at Student Health Services (SHS) believe it's your good health that enables you to achieve your full potential. Fulfillment of your academic and personal goals all depends on optimum health.

The Physical Therapy Department at SHS offers a broad range of services to facilitate recovery from and prevention of injuries or illnesses that affect the musculoskeletal system and sensorimotor functions. The department is staffed by physical therapists who provide evaluation and individualized treatment and education programs for each patient to return to function.

Availability and Access

Students are invited to bring their questions to the physical therapists at any time. Whether it's about tips to prevent recurrence of an old injury or self-management of an ongoing problem, the physical therapy department is here to help. A prescription for physical therapy services is not required, although some health insurance companies require a referral to physical therapy from a primary care provider prior to receiving services if insurance reimbursement is expected.

Student Health Services accepts physical therapy orders from private clinicians. Therefore, it is unnecessary for students who are seeing physicians outside of SHS to leave campus or town to have their physical therapy treatments.

The Physical Therapy Department is open Monday through Friday with more limited hours during the summer. The department is located at Dixon Recreational Center on the main level.


If you have a prescription for physical therapy, you may call or drop by Dixon or SHS to schedule your appointment. Be sure to bring the clinician's written prescription with you. Call 541-737-7556 to schedule physical therapy appointments.

Treatment Programs

Physical therapy is a rehabilitative discipline of health care in which a physical therapist or a professional supervised by a physical therapist provides services to patients who have impairments, functional limitations, disabilities, or changes in physical function and health status resulting from injury, disease, or other causes. The therapist will design, implement and modify therapeutic interventions to address each patient's impairments. The treatment plans may include but are not limited to balance, coordination and functional training, patient education, therapeutic exercise, manual therapy techniques, prescription and application of assistive, adaptive, orthotic, or prosthetic devices, wound management, and application of electrotherapeutic or mechanical modalities and other physical agents such as ice, heat or biofeedback techniques.

Travel Medicine

An extensive travel program is available to serve students, faculty and staff who may be traveling abroad. Users of the clinic receive information about immunization requirements in the parts of the world to which they will travel, disease prevention, handling of medications, dealing with emergencies and obtaining medical assistance abroad. Programs are provided for both individuals and groups. Appointments with a travel nurse are encouraged; call 541-737-WELL (9355) to schedule. Prior to your Travel Consult appointment, please print a hardcopy of the International Medical Questionnaire (PDF), fill it out, and bring it with you.

OSU faculty and staff who have business or research travel to countries outside the U.S. should schedule pre-travel consultation services at the SHS Travel Clinic and register the trip at the Office of Risk Management.

Student Health Services maintains membership in the International Society of Travel Medicine. International Certificates of Vaccination and other documentation required for your travel are available at SHS.


The Travel Clinic provides comprehensive education and immunization services to enhance your travel experience while maintaining good health.


Travel Immunizations

Currently, vaccine protection is offered for the following conditions:

Follow-Up Care

In the event you do become ill while traveling, or in the year after your trip, see a clinician and inform him/her of your history. You may be seen at the SHS if you are still a student.


Students, faculty and staff are charged for the consultation. Additional charges are assessed if you receive a prescription, immunization and/or lab tests. The Travel nurse can tell you the current fees for services you receive. Faculty and staff must pay for services when rendered. In some cases, faculty and staff may bill the OSU department if work is travel related. For more information, contact the SHS Billing Office at 541-737-2068.

Preparing for Appointments

Now you can access up-to-date international travel information from your own computer!

Shoreland Medical Marketing, the publisher of the computerized travel information service used at SHS, has made this information available to anyone through the worldwide web for personal, non-commercial use. Through this web site, you can review individual country profiles, read information on travel vaccines and malaria prevention,acquire summaries of travel-related illnesses, and gain an overall understanding of matters related to travel health. You will still need to make an appointment at SHS for a travel consult, but checking out Travel Health Online in advance can save you valuable time in the clinic.

Occupational Travel Resources

The US Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) offers international travel guidance by providing helpful strategies to reduce health risks. The OSHA bulletin suggests that international business travelers follow recommendations for immunizations published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that are available at:

Non-employees and children should schedule appointments with a private provider/physician. For more information, visit the following web sites at:

You may also consult the U.S. Foreign Travel Advisory and Warnings and review any public announcements and country sanctions.

Although no immunizatrions are required for direct travel from the US to countries in Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, it is recommended that travelers be current with their Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio, and Measles/Mumps/Rubella immunizations. Vaccinations such as Hepatitis B and Hepatitis A are highly recommended. Other resources to provide assistance in ensuring travel safety include: