International Student Insurance Plan

What insurance is required to attend OSU?

Non-resident international students must be covered by health insurance which meets the U.S. Government visa requirements and Oregon State University standards. Insurance for family members is also available at additional cost.

OSU requires all international students registered for a minimum of 1 on-campus credit to enroll in the OSU International Student Insurance Plan.

Does OSU have an insurance plan which meets the requirements? 

Yes. The OSU Student Health Insurance plan for international students provides affordable coverage for students. The cost for one term of the 2017-2018 academic year is $568.33 for student-only coverage (costs differ for visiting scholars).

How do I enroll?

All international students who are registered for at least 1 credit hour on campus in Fall, Winter and/or Spring terms will be automatically charged for the OSU International Health Insurance.

Payments by credit card, check or cash must be made in the SHS Insurance Office by the third Friday of the term to avoid a "Registration Hold" on your student account.

If you have other insurance, you may submit a waiver and a summary of the insurance for approval no later than the last published date of open enrollment.

If approved, the charge will be removed. If you would like to add a dependent(s), you will need to come to the Student Health Insurance office to complete the necessary paperwork before the end of the enrollment period.

Enrollment and waiver forms are available at the Student Insurance Office or in the forms section.

When can I enroll?

Key dates:

  • Open enrollment: Open enrollment period ends the third Friday of each term.
    • Fall: 9/1/17 - 10/13/17
    • Winter: 12/23/17 - 1/26/18
    • Spring: 3/17/18 - 4/20/18
    • Summer: 6/12/18 - 7/13/18

What to do before open enrollment ends:

  • Submit a completed enrollment form.
  • Add any dependents.
  • Make payments.
  • Complete a waiver form, if desired.

The open enrollment period officially ends the third Friday of each term. You should submit a completed enrollment form, add dependents if desired, and make payments to the insurance office by the end of the period. You may only enroll during an open enrollment period, unless you experience a Qualifying Event such as loss of previous insurance coverage, birth/death, marriage/divorce, etc. You should submit a completed waiver form to waive out of the OSU International plan no later than the last published date of the open enrollment period to have the charge removed from their account. No late waivers will be accepted.

How do I pay for the health insurance charge on my student account?

All payments for the mandatory health insurance must be made either online at or at the Kerr Administration Building.

Kerr Administration accepts cash and check payments only. Please let the cashier know that you want to pay for the insurance premium if you visit Kerr.

Online payments with a credit card are not preferred, as you can't allocate funds to the insurance charge. For additional information regarding paying for the health insurance please access the OSU Cashiers website at Cashier's Office Payment Information.  

Waiver requirements

You must have UNLIMITED medical coverage for accidents and illness. Requirements for both Repatriation of Remains and Medical Evacuation will each need to have a minimum of $50,000 in coverage.

If you are purchasing your own health insurance coverage, please verify the policy meets ALL requirements. Make sure to read your policy benefits and exclusions. Both men and women are required to have coverage for pregnancy within the policy.

NOTE: Student Health will no longer accept travel insurance for waiver submission as a substitute for our International Medical Health Insurance.

Can family members be insured on the OSU plan?

Yes. OSU requires that all non-resident international students and their dependents (living in the United States) be covered by health insurance. The health insurance must meet federal, state and OSU standards. Insurance for family members is also available at additional cost. Because family members are not students, they cannot use Student Health Services on campus but they can see other doctors in the Corvallis area. Refer to the forms section for the cost of adding family members to your plan.

For more information on adding a dependent to your OSU health insurance, contact the Student Health Insurance office 541-737-7600.

What if I lose my Aetna Insurance ID card?

You can print a replacement ID card on the Aetna website by following these steps:

  • Go to this website and type "Oregon State University" in the "Find Your School" search box.
  • On the right-hand side of the screen select "Print Your ID Card."
  • Enter your OSU ID number and your date of birth; click "View Card."

How is Aetna Insurance billed for my services at SHS?

The SHS Billing Office will bill Aetna for all billable services. When payment is received from Aetna any patient balance will be applied to your student account. This process can take up to 30 days from date of service. For billing questions, please call 541-737-8370.

Who can I contact if I need more information?

OSU Student Insurance Office
110 Plageman Bldg.
Corvallis, OR 97331
Phone: 541-737-7600
Fax: 541-737-7914

About Health Insurance

What is health insurance?

Health insurance pays part of the cost of health care for you and your family if you are injured or get sick. It can be used at OSU Student Health Services, doctors’ offices, and hospitals. Health care in America can be expensive, so it is important to have health insurance. 

OSU’s health insurance requires that you use either Student Health Services or a doctor that is part of the plan (doctors who have signed up with that insurance company).

Why do I need health insurance as an international student?

All non-resident international students and their dependents (living in the United States) must be covered by health insurance that meets national, state and OSU requirements (OAR 576-025-0020). All international students are automatically charged for the OSU International Health Insurance. Students who have other insurance can submit a waiver request with a summary of their insurance coverage. If approved, the charge will be removed. For more information on adding a dependent to your OSU health insurance, contact the Student Health Insurance office 541-737-7600.

Where is the best place to use my OSU health insurance?

Best choice: Student Health Services

In most situations, the first place to go is Student Health Services. This will be the cheapest place to get health care.

Student Health Services is open:
Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

During school breaks, the hours are:
Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

To make an appointment, call 541-737-9355. If you need to see a doctor immediately, some same-day appointments are available. If you have a problem when Student Health is not open, call the Nurse Advice Line at 541-737-9355.

Second choice: Off-campus urgent care

If Student Health is closed, you can go to Corvallis Clinic Immediate Care or Samaritan Urgent Care. Both of these clinics will take your Aetna health insurance.

Corvallis Clinic Immediate Care Center
Asbury Building
3680 NW Samaritan Drive
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-754-1282
Weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Weekends and holidays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Samaritan Urgent Care Center
5234 SW Philomath Blvd. (in Sunset Plaza near Safeway)
Corvallis, OR 97333
Phone: 541-768-4970
Weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. 
Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Quick Care
2001 NW Monroe, Ste. 104
Corvallis, OR. 97333
(541) 754-1369
Monday - Sunday 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Third choice: Off-campus doctor or specialist

If you are looking for a special type of doctor off campus that is part of your insurance plan, go to, type in “Oregon State University” under “Find your school,” and then select “Find a Doctor.” Choose a doctor from this list and then call for an appointment.

In an emergency: call 9-1-1

They can send an ambulance to help you. You can also go to the emergency room at the hospital. Emergency room visits are much more expensive than visiting a doctor who is covered by your insurance. If you go to the emergency room when you don’t have an emergency, your insurance might refuse to pay all or part of your charges. You would need to pay those charges. This can cost you a lot of money.

Good Reasons to Go to the Emergency Room:

  • Losing consciousness
  • Severe pain
  • Severe trouble breathing
  • Chest pain
  • Bleeding that doesn’t stop
  • Poisoning (contact the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222 for immediate advice)
  • A major injury, such as a head injury
  • Severe or worsening reaction to an insect bite or a medication, especially if breathing is difficult
  • Stupor, drowsiness or disorientation that cannot be explained

I have dependents on my plan; How do they use my insurance?

If your dependents are not OSU students, they cannot use Student Health Services. There are many good doctors in Corvallis; to find a doctor on the plan, use the same steps as described above in “How Do I Use the OSU Plan?”

Each family member on your plan has a $300 deductible. This is the amount that you must pay each year before benefits will be paid by the insurance company. The deductible is waived for students seen at Student Health Services, but does apply for dependents and students when seen outside Student Health. 

For More Information

Contact the Student Health insurance office at 541-737-6748, or visit the office on the first floor of Student Health Services, Room 110.

Travel Tips for International Students

If you get sick or injured

  • Seek immediate medical care if you are bitten by an animal, develop a headache and high fever, experience bloody diarrhea, or have a skin wound that is not healing.
  • Students who have OSU International Health Insurance should contact On Call International. If you are more than 100 miles from OSU or in another country, they will arrange medical care for you.

Be Safe

  • Know your travel schedule (length of flights, stopovers). Carry extra food and water with you on long trips.
  • Keep your medicines in your backpack or carry-on bag, so that you can get them easily during your trip.
  • Keep your passport in your possession in a safe place, such as in a security pocket or belt.
  • Take only the credit cards that you will be using. Do not carry large amounts of cash.
  • Look both ways before crossing a street. Traffic may be coming from an unexpected direction.
  • Wear seat belts when riding in cars. Lock car doors.
  • Make new friends, but be aware of situations that may include unsafe sex, alcohol, drugs, and other dangers (especially at night or when alone).

Be Healthy

  • Be current on recommended immunizations.
  • Protect yourself from the sun. Wear sunglasses and a hat, and use sunscreen with SPF 15 to 30.
  • Wash your hands, especially before eating and after using the bathroom. Carry an alcohol-based hand cleaner, in case clean water and soap are not available.

In most European countries, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and the United States, tap water is safe to drink. Elsewhere, don’t drink tap water or use it to brush your teeth or clean contact lenses. Canned or bottled drinks are usually safe, but don’t use ice cubes.

Be Prepared

  • Prepare a Travel Medical Kit: first aid supplies (bandages and antibiotic ointment), cold medications, throat lozenges, antacids, and medication for pain relief.

How to use On Call International

Who do I call if I get sick or injured when traveling?

If you are traveling at least 100 miles from OSU, or in another country, call On Call International as soon as possible by dialing 866-525-1956 (within the United States) or 603-328-1956 (outside the United States). On Call International must make the arrangements for medical care, so always call them first.

How do I find medical care when I am traveling?

On Call International will refer you to a qualified doctor or hospital in your travel location. On Call International cannot reimburse you for any medical expenses unless they are arranged, approved and provided by On Call International.

How do I print an ID card for On Call International?

Click here.

Click on “Members” in the left menu, then select “Travel Assistance.” To print your card, go to "On Call International ID Card" near the bottom of the page.

What if a foreign hospital refuses to accept my insurance and requires me to pay the total when I get medical care?

You will need to pay the hospital and then file a claim for foreign medical assistance with Aetna Student Health. If you do not have enough money to pay the hospital, On Call International can help you make financial arrangements with the provider. The source of the money is your responsibility.

Find more information about how On Call International can help you at under “Travel Assistance Services,” or go to On Call International: Worldwide Medical Information and Assistance (PDF).